Galaxy Angel GN 1 to 2 (Deluxe Edition)
Age - 13+
Supervised by Ryo Mizuno
Original Concept by Broccoli Japan
Broccoli Books Staff
Translator - Ken "KJ1980" Wakita
English Adaptation - Jason R. Grissom and Stephanie Sheh
Clean-up, Touch-up & Lettering by Fawn "Tails" Lau
Editor - Satsuki Yamashita
Before We Begin
The first thing you might notice after picking this book up is that it seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the Anime Series (now available from BANDAI). Well that's because it does have absolutely nothing to do with the Anime Series!
This version is based on a PlayStation 2 video game created by Broccoli Japan, while the Anime is it's own beast... which is not to say that the Anime doesn't have a manga to fall back on, which it seems to have in the "Galaxy Angel Party" manga (date still in flux in terms of release) which seems to be more like the Anime than this series.
You'll notice that in the way it goes. This is an ongoing story, while the Anime (and most likely Galaxy Angel Party) is episodic in nature and not as consistent.
Okay. You got your 4-1-1 so let's get this review underway!
Graphic Novel 1
While on "vacation" the Angels are summoned to protect a small fleet of local patrol ships from the aggressions of a fleet of black ships under the banner of one Lord Eonia.
Seems the "Lord" in question used to be a prince until he was exiled from his homeworld, took the Dr. Phil self empowerment course for planetary rulers, returned and self empowered himself by butchering his royal family relatives and making himself Lord of all he surveys.
Too bad one of his "victims", a Prince Shiva of the White Moon, escaped and is now being hunted down relentlessly by Eonia and his minions.
That is where the Angel Troupe comes in. It's their job to protect Prince Shiva at any cost, but it seems that cost now includes two new male "co-workers" that they take orders from and the strange adventures they end up getting into including...
- Having to find all natural food for the Prince to eat before he starves to death. Seems that while the Angel Troupe were on "vacation" to pick up supplies for this job, supplies that were lost during their confrontation with the forces of Lord Eonia. It seems that this Milfeulle, in this version, has a double edged effect to her "luck" powers... in that she can experience extreme (but not fatal) bad luck as well as good luck, unlike her Anime series counterpart that seems to only receive good luck (haven't seen any serious bad luck yet!)
So why is the Prince starving? Seems he has a picky side and will only eat organic foods which seem to be in short supply -- that is, unless new Angel Troupe commander Takuto can point out the way to food.
- Ah. Nothing quite like fresh meat on the menu to lighten the mood after the whole near starving thing.
But when they said "extremely fresh cow" they REALLY mean it! As in a live, living breathing "extremely fresh" cow! Sure it's fresh, but they don't even expect the Iron Chefs to prepare meat THIS fresh!
- Take a little sidetrip on a desert planet to learn about a little tune that the Prince likes to hum.
- And, finally, visit a planet that doesn't have fond memories of the time when technology vanished from the galaxy (see the notes about the Galaxy Angel universe in this book for more information) and thus have a slight problem with off planet guests. Guess maybe a little adventure between Milfeulle and a certain young lad in outer space may change that... then again maybe not.
All that and quite a few "Extras"? I won't say what extras, that's a secret, but they're good.
Graphic Novel 2
So we're still on the move to get Prince Shiva to safety, apparently it's a long long way to the White Moon.
Along the way the Angel Troupe and company get into more adventures.
- The gang run into a ship of children cast into space as their world died. But how can the Angels be of help to them, and how can the kids be helpful to themselves? Find out.
- Take a little trip to a hot springs planet for a little bathing, a chance to peep at the girls naked (or very very close to naked) and maybe even go on a little quest with Ranpha to find the secret hot springs that'll show her true love -- mind you Ranpha, if you don't like what you see there'll be no refunds or take backs.
- So now that Ranpha has seen her true love? She's not entirely stoked about it.
Maybe a hostage situation with Ranpha/Milfeulle set by one of the major minions of Lord Eonia might change the situation. Then again it might only make the situation more tense as there's a great escape, lots of soul searching (maybe) and an accidental -- oh, wait, I'll stop here.
Find out more when you pick this up yourself! Now the breakdown!
Galaxy Angel Breakdown the 1st & 2nd
What's Hot? Sure it's not like the Anime at all, but it makes me want to play the video game now!
It's rather good, and I like reading it! All around it's solidly done and, again, while it's not as fun as the Anime it is still a nice addition to your Galaxy Angel collection.
And, yes, Galaxy Angel Party is still coming soon so stay tuned... recent word said it might be as late as December 2004 but still... I think I can wait.
What's Not? If you're looking for something as fun as the Anime you might be barking up the wrong planet here. Still it is a nice addition to your Galaxy Angel collection and it'll give you something fun to read until such time as Galaxy Angel Party finally prints!
Moments to Remember? The Angel Troupe bring in some of the most memorable moments.
Somehow Takuto and the new male characters don't seem to draw the attention as well.
What to Ignore? Ignore how it seems that Galaxy Angel Party seems to be getting longer and longer in terms of waiting for it to publish! Originally set for a September release (to bridge the gap between Galaxy Angel Graphic Novel 3 & 4) it looks like the series is now being pushed back as late as December.
When will it finally come out? Inquiring minds want to know.
Overall? Okay. It's NOT in the spirit of the Anime series. That's OK. I can accept it.
It's got it's own life, energy, and should be of real interest to anyone who is either a die hard fan of sci-fi fun, the works of Kanan, or a fan of the Anime series. I don't know how long it'll last but be sure to enjoy the trip as long as possible!
Looks like Winter 2007 means just that, Winter 2007.Thatís good, because after I became enchanted by the original Disgaea (to the tune of a 4 out of 5) I would have hated to have waited for a sequel...
Currently Playing by Yung Burnout
am I supposed to be serious here.... by Miketoms
HDMI cable by crihstyma
Satoshi Kon 1963 - 2010 by nikejersey0
Teams Of Pandora Charms by pandora2013